A glimpse into the New Age Multi-factor Authentication
Share This Page
With rapid development in technology, securing digital data has become an integral part of every organization. Despite all the security measures like regular vulnerability tests, deployment of encryption technology, and such; organizations are highly prone to IT Security breaches owing to compromised users’ credentials. Therefore, it’s time to strategize and enforce a defense mechanism to protect enterprise data. Consequently, many organizations are embarking onto Multi-factor Authentication-as-a-Service to secure their Enterprise applications.
What is Multi-factor Authentication-as-a-Service?
Multi-factor Authentication-as-a-Service (or simply MFA-as-a-Service) is an additional layer of security aligned on top of users’ existing username-password credentials during their login authentication process. This layer requests one or more combinations of additional authentication factors to validate the identity of digital users.
MFA-as-a-Service Implementation – Best practices an organization should follow
- Ubiquitous Deployment – Visualize a flexible implementation to support both On-Premise and Cloud systems. This helps enterprises to prevent unauthorized access, password-based cyber-attacks, and data breaches.
- Ensure Consistency – Enforce industry standard protocols in IT Security while implementing MFA.
- Choosing the right product – Choose the right product for your organization by evaluating the factors like scalability, security, user experience, cost of deployment and support, and ease of customization.
- Coupled with Single Sign On – Combine MFA with Single Sign On (SSO) for a user-friendly and secure experience by dismissing the need for remembering multiple passwords.
- Periodic Assessment – Evaluate the MFA setup periodically to ensure compliance to the organization policy.
Authentication Factors Supported
MFA-as-a-Service allows organizations to enable one or more multiple authentication factors in various combinations. The choice of combinations of authentication factors can be tailored to the requirements of an organization.
1. Something you know (Knowledge factor)
- Google Authenticator
Implements Time-based One-time Password (OTP) Algorithm for authenticating end users.
2. Something you have (Possession factor)
- E-Mail/SMS OTP
Allows users to access Enterprise applications upon verification of OTP sent to registered email address and mobile number.
3. Something you are (Inherence Factor)
- Facial Detection
Provides a user-friendly feature that uses various facial data points to precisely authenticate a user while logging in.
Ensures successful login to Enterprise applications upon successful Fingerprint authentication.
Benefits of choosing MFA-as-a-Service
- Enhanced Security – MFA-as-a-Service prompts users with more than two authentication factors. Consequently, any hacker will be unable to access the application unless they possess all the authentication factors mandated by the organization.
- 360-Degree Solution – MFA-as-a-Service combines the power of a 360-degree MFA solution providing extensible support for both On-Premise and Cloud systems.
- User-friendly MFA Registration and Validation – In addition to the multiple authentication factors used for validating the identity, MFA-as-a-Service lays out a very user-friendly and a seamless UI design facilitating hassle-free experience for any end user.
- Cost effective, yet a powerful Solution – Comparing the potential catastrophic revenue damage to an organization owing to compromised credentials, MFA-as-a-Service integration turns out to be a very economic and effective solution to prevent damage easily.
- Simple One-Click Setup – MFA-as-a-Service provides a single step setup for your enterprise.
- Minimal administrative overhead – MFA-as-a-Service ensures minimized administrative overhead by seamlessly integrating additional authentication factors.
- PII compliant – MFA-as-a-Service prohibits the need for storing any PII data (Personally Identifiable Information) at the server.
Who should opt for MFA-as-a-Service?
MFA-as-a-Service is a flexible and versatile cybersecurity solution that is suitable for any business model irrespective of the scale or revenue of an organization, that seeks a strong authentication for digital data protection.
Regular Enterprise App Vs MFA as a Service Protected Enterprise App
Enterprise Application Without MFA-as-a-Service
Enterprise Application With MFA-as-a-Service
8K Miles has come up with a solution that serves as a resilient barrier and has all the functionalities claimed above – EzMFA – an advanced authentication service for protecting Enterprise applications. Our cyber security solution is an extra layer of security added on top of the existing username-password credentials during authentication phase.
EzMFA is an independent authentication service providing a higher level of assurance to its customers by enforcing additional authentication factors. The availability of all the authentication factors and the flexibility to opt for tailor made combination of authentication factors stand as the primary USP of EzMFA.
Author Credits: Sadam Hussain Farmanudeen, Associate Consultant at 8K Miles, You can connect with him here for more information.